Ukraine‘s Deputy Minister of Defense, Hanna Maliar, recently shared that thousands of people have volunteered to join Ukraine’s newly-formed International Legion Army after an appeal from President Zelensky last week.
Some 16,000 foreign “volunteers”, including 200 Nigerian are heading for Ukraine to fight against Russia, according to recent reports. The militants are coming as the country continues to receive lavish military aid from abroad, president Zelensky added.
“Ukraine continues to receive weaponry daily from our partners, from real friends. And the weapons are more and more powerful every day,” Zelensky said in a taped address shared on social media.
American war veterans are also among volunteers who are applying to go to the region through the Ukrainian Embassy in DC. Reports share that over six special ops vets had scaled through the requirements, while two infantry officers are due to go to the Polish border.
How To Join The Legion Army
If you are thinking of joining the Ukrainian international legion army, here are simple straightforward steps as provided by the Ukrainian government.
To apply, volunteers must send applications to the Ukrainian Embassy in their country to prove their military experience and then wait for approval. Other steps are:
- Apply to the Embassy of Ukraine in your country to join the Foreign Legion of Territorial Defense of Ukraine (ask a military diplomat or consul for details). Applicants can visit the Embassy in person, call or send an email to start the process.
- Get your documents in order. This includes an ID, a passport to travel abroad, documents confirming military service or work with law enforcement agencies and participation in combat.
- Arrive at the embassy with documents for an interview with the defence attaché and the settlement of any visa issues with the consul.
- Write an application for enlistment in the Territorial Defense of the Armed Forces of Ukraine for military service under a contract voluntarily. (This is in addition to Step 1.)
- Receive instructions on how to arrive in Ukraine and what to bring. Military clothing, equipment, helmet, body armour, combat gloves, tactical glasses, belts and vests are recommended. “It is not obligatory,” the official said, “but a foreign soldier in his national uniform looks good for the International Legion.”
- Go to Ukraine in an organized manner. Representatives of Ukrainian embassies, consulates (abroad) and Territorial Defense in Ukraine will assist in the way. Contacts will be provided at the Embassy of Ukraine in your country.’